For almost 10 years SYMATESE has worked with Hyaluronic acid for the design of new innovative medical devices.
Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a naturally occurring macromolecule belonging to the glycosaminoglycan family.
This polysaccharide, composed of repeating disaccharide units of glucuronic acid and N-acetylglucosamine, exhibits unique properties thus allowing for many different applications in the medical field:
- HA is a natural component of most human and animal tissues with an identical primary chemical structure whatever the extraction source and rapid well known catabolism, making this macromolecule safe for medical use,
- HA has a strong hydrophilic nature and its structure occupies a very large volume in physiological conditions,
- HA exhibits viscoelastic properties of great interest in medical context.
Thus, HA is the main component of key medical devices in many medical fields:
- Aesthetic: Wrinkles filler and mesotherapy,
- Ophthalmology: Viscous solution for cataract surgery or vitreous substitute,
- Rheumatology: Viscosupplementation,
- Surgery: Anti-adhesion barrier,
- Wound healing, wound dressing,
- Urology: Soft tissue filler for treatment of vesico-ureteral reflux,
- Orthopedic: Bone defects filler.
In all those applications, the device's performance and quality do not only rely on the molecule itself but on HA transformation into its final usage form. HA always needs to be properly formulated, and in many cases also needs to be transformed by crosslinking for example for aesthetic use, or for visco-supplementation. In many cases, the added value of the device is directly linked to its transformation.
For the last 10 years, SYMATESE has developed a wide array of HA transformation technology.
One of its most successful achievements is the development of a versatile crosslinking technology transforming HA solution into unique tailor-made gel with multiple potential uses. This technology has been successfully tested and marketed in aesthetic dermatology, through a partnership with a world class leader. This technology is interesting in other direct indications such as visco-supplementation, ophthalmology, or urology. These HA injectable gels are produced in a new and dedicated production line meeting international quality and regulatory requirements.
These technologies, along with the dedicated production line, make SYMATESE an ideal partner for companies searching for a fully integrated solution, from the design to production of new medical devices. Based on the analysis of their partners needs, SYMATESE will design a project going from the needs to the commercialisation of the device.